Sunday, December 19, 2004

ShangHai-ed - An Introduction

Shang·hai (shng-h, shäng-)

A city of eastern China at the mouth of the Chang Jiang (Yangtze River) southeast of Nanjing. The largest city in the country, Shanghai was opened to foreign trade by the Treaty of Nanking (1842) and quickly prospered. France, Great Britain, and the United States all held large concessions in the city until the early 20th century. Shanghai is located in Jiangsu province but is administered as a separate governmental unit. Population: 8,205,598.

OR

1. To kidnap (a man) for compulsory service aboard a ship, especially after drugging him.
2. To induce or compel (someone) to do something, especially by fraud or force: We were shanghaied into buying worthless securities.

It wasn't the latter. But there were instances during when I felt like I was. These will be a reflection of my thoughts through my near three weeks (20 days)trip in China. I was contemplating how to write it down to make it interesting. In my opinion, a day-by-day account would be a tad boring, so I have decided to highlight certain well, highlights and add in various anologies on the way. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home